Depression is a mood disorder in which feelings of loss, anger, sadness, or frustration interfere with everyday life.
Depression affects approximately 17 million Americans each year. Everyone at one time or another has felt depressed, sad, or blue. Being depressed is a normal reaction to loss, life's struggles, or an injured self-esteem. Left undiagnosed and untreated, depression can worsen, lasting for years and causing untold suffering, and possibly even result in suicide
Depression seems to be related to a chemical imbalance in the brain that makes it hard for the cells to communicate with one another. Depression also seems to be genetic (to run in families). depression is caused by Sleep disturbances, Amount of exposure to light, Heredity, Nutritional deficiencies or Serious medical conditions, such as heart attack or cancer
The use of herbs is a time-honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. The following have been used traditionally to treat depression:
A combination of memory booster herbs like BRAHMI, ASHWAGANDHA, VACHA, MULATHI which guards against stress, depression and improves learning ability in a natural way. MEMOCARE Capsules improves mental attitude and channalises the memory to increase mental alertness. More...
Brahmi is a nervine tonic that enhances learning ,academic performance and improves mental ability.
It is used in Ayurveda for the treatment of asthma, hoarseness, insanity and epilepsy and is also a potent nerve tonic, cardiotonic, aperient and diuretic. It acts as an anti-anxiety agent and also calms restlessness in children and is used in several mental disorders. More...
In trials by American psychiatrists, this herb had been found useful for the treatment of manic depression, alcoholic paranoia, and schizophrenia. Up to 4 capsules were given daily, in between meals, for 45-60 days with very good results. This herb was given to 30 mental patients suffering from anxiety neurosis in doses of 40 ml/day. (in two equally divided doses.) for one month. At the end of the month, most of the anxiety disorders, panic attacks and similar mood phobias, had disappeared. More...
—five or more symptoms must be present; an episode must last at least 2 weeks, but tends to continue for 20 weeks. (A mood disorder is classified as minor depression if less than five depressive symptoms are present for at least 2 weeks.)
—a chronic, generally milder form of depression; symptoms are similar to major depression but more mild in degree
—depression accompanied by unusual symptoms, such as hallucinations, delusions, and physical rigidity
These are some of the signs and symptoms of depression that you should be aware of:
- Feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Difficulty making decisions
- Crying easily or crying for no reason
- Aches and pains (such as recurrent headaches)
- Sexual problems (for example, decreased sex drive)
- A change in appetite causing weight loss or gain
- Thoughts of death or suicide
Using mind/body techniques, such as biofeedback, meditation, and tai chi, are effective ways to prevent or reduce symptoms associated with depression, Adequate sleep, regular exercise, and a balanced, healthy diet may help prevent depression and diminish symptoms of this mood disorder.
Depressive symptoms are exacerbated by nutritional deficiencies.
- Avoid coffee, sugar, alcohol, dairy products: Depression has been associated with a high intake of caffeine. If you drink four or more cups of caffeine in a given day, try substituting decaffeinated coffee and soft drinks.
- Avoid any processed food, artificial colors, stimulant food, canned foods, smoking, dairy products, meats, eggs, and fish.
- Limit your total daily fat intake to 30 percent of your total calories. Try not to consume more than 300 milligrams of cholesterol a day
- Vitamin B1 is necessary for the brain to metabolize carbohydrates. A deficiency of B1 can result in fatigue, irritability, memory lapses, insomnia, loss of appetite, and stomach upset.
Don't believe all of your negative thinking
Avoid drugs and alcohol. Both make depression worse.
Avoid making big life decisions when you're depressed.
Try not to get discouraged. It will take time for your depression to lift fully.
You might be interested in some Home Remedies For Depression. Click Here